search

Friday 17 March 2017

Owls







The Barred Owl in the top three photos was hanging out near my bird feeders one day after the second big snow storm we had here this Winter. It seemed to be interested in the squirrels that had been hanging out under the feeders. The smaller mammals that make up their usual diet would have been buried under about 2 feet of snow. I watched it go after something on one occasion but without success. February 18, East Jordan, NS.

The Great Horned Owl was one of a pair I stumbled on one day. Late Winter is typically breeding season for these birds so I assume they were male and female. I can't say with certainty which sex this bird might be although from past experience the males seem a little bolder and so more approachable.  February 5, near Little Harbour, NS.

No comments: